Perfumes/scents

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

T

thatu

Guest Shopper
Thanks to weathergirl's headsup on another thread, I've just been introduced to l'Occitane's Fleur Cherie, which by the sounds of it could well have been discontinued by now - or not. I'd describe this as a fresh, light perfume with a soft smell of roses. (Well, I thought my description was good, anyway). I love it!

Without going all Jilly Goulden and describing a perfume something like "freshly picked daisies with wild garlic flowers, a hint of baby powder and the tang of green ginger wine" (sounds totally disgusting, just for illlustration) or whatever, what is your favourite perfume and how would you describe it?

On second thoughts, do your damndest - as long as you can describe it accurately and show that it is or isn't musky or flowery so we know what we might buy next.

For a cheapie I like Tahitian holiday from Avon - it's a kind of coconut on a sea breeze. clean clothes, fresh scent. Love it for everyday. I don't like heavy perfumes as they give me a headache but I do like Estee Lauder Sunflowers - smells of a sunny day in the garden, or those walks though the fields in summer when you were a kid on your way to the fishing pond. I used to like Loulou but it's too overpowering for me these days.

CC

Lipstick Rose by Frederic Malle ... roses and violets with a fruity, musky background. Smells like the lipsticks I remember my godmother wearing when I was a child ... Goya and Elizabeth Arden. Its sweet but very glamorous and most men love it.

Red Roses by Jo Malone ... to me it smells like tea roses in sunshine with a spritz of citrus. Its fresh, summery. A bouquet of roses in a bottle.

I love the Houbigant range. Quelques Fleurs which my Mother wore and which is a beautiful floral combination, not a sharp floral but a soft floral and apparantly Princess Diana wore it on her wedding day. I also love Quelques Roses which has roses from all over the World in it and also Quelques Violettes which is very hard to find.
I love to dabble in the perfumes oils from the Arab countries, Swiss Arabian oils are a good quality, alcohol free and some are fabulous, highly concentrated and the bottles are very ornate.
I also love Nuit Caline from a small perfumers called Galimard in Grasse and Divine by Divine perfumers also in France.

Ha!!!!

Well, family wise I love Chypres, Oriental and Florals, cannot stand Aquatics nor Fruity.

Currant favourite, well going by Basenotes and how many times worn last month.

Fragonard Heliotrope and Ginger bought from M&S with 20% off so £24. Warm soft sort of hints of light vanilla and almonds with a tiny hint of warm spice. I love Heliotrope anyway.

A blind buy which I dithered over for ages, Annick Goutal Heure Exquise, green floral so not heady or sickly sweet. Elegant classic.

i like maddonas truth or dare and le chevrefeuille by anita goutal both very floral and classic.

but i also love a good amber and that is calvin kliene's obsession.

but when i was a teen i adored "y" by ysl. and i still adore it and still buy it. nice for summer

Donna you are a mine of information when it comes to perfume. I love heliotrope so am going in to try that. Although I'm not mad keen on vanilla.

Wow, thanks so much for all these replies and please keep them coming. I've learned so much and I'm keeping some of them in mind. I love appley fragrances but they're very hard to come by. I wish these companies wouldn't keep discontinuing stuff just when you find one you like.

Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Toit, starts with a big opening of fresh green apples. Then its somewhat floral, I get violets though there are none in it:mysmilie_17: Yes, people keep telling me I smell of violets. There is rose, wild grasses and magnolia. Its light and very pretty, give it a sniff.

The only one I wear now, and have worn ever since it's launch, is Mademoiselle by Chanel. It's not too strong but it is noticeable, I've often been asked what perfume I'm wearing.
I can only describe it as a very comforting smell, not in a 'baby powder' kind of way, which is often described as comforting (I hate the smell of baby powder) but just a lovely soft and warm scent.
My all time favourite perfume ever though was back in the 60's and early 70s....Hypnotique, by Max Factor. If that ever came back, same 'recipe' but new name, I'd be first in the queue, and I do search all new scents in case it ever does.....you never know.

Unfortunately a lot of ingredients are now banned. Some found to cause sensitivity in a small amount of people, but taking no chances the Perfume Industry jumped and changed most perfumes.

You want to find originals, you have to go vintage.

Yes, you are right Donna, the banned ingredients thing has ruined a lot of well loved classic perfumes.
Vintage Hypnotique, if found, would be so old it would probably be unusable.

Oh the wonderful days when Max Factor and Yardley made fabulous perfumes.....Reverie, Khadine, Geminesse, Rapport etc. etc.

Thanks to this thread, I've just found that a perfume I had in the sixties is on amazon for £149 for 100ml concentrate. Gulp. I've still got a tiny amount of solid perfume in a hinged jar and it still smells exactly the same. My mother gave it to me so God knows what it cost her then. I wear it on very special occasions but it's lasted and lasted and a teensy amount goes a long way. It's described on fragrantia.com as:
Royal Secret by Germaine Monteil is a chypre floral fragrance for women. Royal Secret was launched in 1935. Top notes are lavender, galbanum, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are orange blossom, violet, lily-of-the-valley, rose and geranium; base notes are sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla and vetiver.

Sounds lovely Thatu.

If a perfume is stored properly out of direct sunlight in its box and in a cool place then can keep for decades

I bought a bottle of Caron Fleurs de Rocaille on ebay ages ago, it was pure parfum 70mls gold wire still intact. Now the top notes have faded a little but its still gorgeous. Oh the year it was made 1960!!!! I was able to date it from the bottle in my Caron book. The guy had it in the wrong place on ebay, I got it for £23 it should have been £££.

I also got Femme by Rochas from the 1980s which had no box in pdt(parfum de toilet), this came before edp. Totally gorgeous. I wore this in the late 70s as a teenager but in 1989 they changed it and added cumin!!! Never the same.

Its smells like sweet sugared plums with smooth leather.

The only one I wear now, and have worn ever since it's launch, is Mademoiselle by Chanel. It's not too strong but it is noticeable, I've often been asked what perfume I'm wearing.
I can only describe it as a very comforting smell, not in a 'baby powder' kind of way, which is often described as comforting (I hate the smell of baby powder) but just a lovely soft and warm scent.
My all time favourite perfume ever though was back in the 60's and early 70s....Hypnotique, by Max Factor. If that ever came back, same 'recipe' but new name, I'd be first in the queue, and I do search all new scents in case it ever does.....you never know.
I love Mademoiselle, I also like Chance by Chanel

Interesting quiz Donna. I came out as floral and I very definitely am.

I rarely buy anything else with the exception of Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone. More of a spicy aromatic fruity fragrance than a floral.

I've just done that quiz, it says I'm a floral, I'm definitely not.

In the early 80s, I found a bottle of the original Coty Chypre in an old chemist shop that used to be in town. It was so lovely I tried to find some more, but that bottle was the only one. That's just typical though isn't it, you come across something like that, and it's never to be found again, not for the few pounds I paid for it anyway..

Latest posts

Back