Panorama programme about Amazon

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ruthmay

Registered Shopper
The pickers have to work terribly hard and have a mobile which beeps at them all the time and if they don't achieve their ridiculous targets they lose point, lose 3 points and you are out. Wonder if Q do the same! No no no, don't be silly ruth! if they did it wouldn't take 3 or more days to despatch an item and another week for it to be delivered.

They probably use the same methods as Amazon with too few staff.

I watched this aswell and also saw a channel 4 news report on Amazon a few weeks ago which exposed a lot more about Amazon than the BBC programme, shocking how the workers are treated and that Amazon get away with it. A few weeks ago at a local shopping centre they had Amazon recruiters there advertising jobs, I can see why they are so desperate now to get people , as the staff turnover must be huge. It has made me think twice about ordering from Amazon as often now.

My cousin's daughter has just started there. She's going to be keeping an eye on her. She was warned to wear comfortable shoes as she'll be walking 10-12 miles over a 10 hour shift. And that's as a newbie. They expect more later on.

How many miles does a postman walk in his shift? They also have a time limited on how long it takes for their rounds.

If anyone read the Daily Mail yesterday they had this as an article and 99% of the comments asked the above? Also 11 miles a day is nothing its seems for housewives etc. People are too pampered these days in work etc. So little sympathy.

QVC have said their warehouse is the size of two or is it four(?) football pitches. You think they won't have the same time to collect and ship out as Amazon? None of us have ever heard about the warehouse staff and hours worked etc, we only get the call centre staff and how wonderful they are.

Here they have improved the postman's routes. No more bicycle. A van now arrives and 2 people get out, load their trolleys and deliver all the mail within 30 mins. Presumably they drive to the next point, load their trolleys and start again. Good thing too as they were delivering loads of parcels to us.
Very annoyed with parcel force though - they claim they attempted delivery of a parcel but we were in all day AND there was no failed delivery card. I noticed that the parcel was coming from a depot 17 miles away so I knew it would probably come towards the end of the day but to claim attempted delivery for an express 24 parcel is naughty.

Here they have improved the postman's routes. No more bicycle. A van now arrives and 2 people get out, load their trolleys and deliver all the mail within 30 mins. Presumably they drive to the next point, load their trolleys and start again. Good thing too as they were delivering loads of parcels to us.
Very annoyed with parcel force though - they claim they attempted delivery of a parcel but we were in all day AND there was no failed delivery card. I noticed that the parcel was coming from a depot 17 miles away so I knew it would probably come towards the end of the day but to claim attempted delivery for an express 24 parcel is naughty.

Don't know about Parcel Force but most of those electronic signing devices they carry can pinpoint where they are at any time so if they are checked they can't fib about where they've been.

amazon treat thier satff grossly. there was a chap on a few weeks ago where they deducted fuel and all sorts from his wages leaving him to pay amazon all his "wages" and he still owed them. austerity for us and big profits for amazon

Its not only Amazon who will be hard going I think working in any distribution centre would be. I worked in an Argos stock room one xmas and lost 7lbs first week. Think of Next as well order until 10pm and get it delivered next day.

I think anyone who watched the programme last night has a great deal of sympathy for the people that worked at Amazon, im sure other places are as bad but In the last few months ive seen many reports on Amazon and its truly shocking. On the Channel 4 news in one of the warehouses they staff were tagged so the management knew where they were every second of the day, including going to the toilet.

They were also given 30mins breaks and in some parts of the warehouse it would take the worker 10mins just to get to the security scanner and would often have to queue up to get passed this, and this was all included in there break, so in effect there 30min break worked out at 10mins by the time they got there and back.

I read a newspaper article about Amazon a few months ago (possibly Daily Telegraph I can't remember). It also exposed some of Amazon's shady employment practices. Most staff are employed by agencies not Amazon. The agencies are responsible for meeting Amazon's targets and staff are hired and fired all the time.

When pressed by a local authority to provide employment data (which the authority is obliged to obtain) Amazon finally admitted that only one person in its new (huge) distribution facility in the Midlands was actually a company employee. Everyone else was on an agency contract with few rights, guaranteed hours etc. Amazon had received grants etc from the public coffers to build the new facility claiming that it would create jobs in an area where many had been lost in previous years. Local businesses expected a huge boost as people got back into work. The reality is somewhat different. The lack of job security and guaranteed hours, combined with poor rates of agency pay, means that the anticipated boost for the local economy hasn't happened. The only winner in all of this appears to be Amazon.

Yodel are rubbish too. Another company that say they made a delivery attempt and never. My courier is amazing and so are DPD who are absolutely fantastic. You can track them via a map and they give a 1 hour time slot. Wish all delivery companies were like this

Yodel are rubbish too.

Yodel is probably one of the worst companies out there. Its a massive false economy to use them for anything. Their business model is based around lying to customers unfortunately. They'll happily make you wait in for a couple of days and not turn up. Argh.

I don't know anything about Amazon other than as a customer I find their delivery times,prices and products very good.I've only ever had to return one faulty item last Christmas and I was given the refund the minute I filled out the form.I had the refund sitting in my bank even before I'd taken the faulty item to the post office.Now thats what I call service.

Whilst I wouldnt want anyone to work in poor conditions - nor would I want to fuel a company that advocates that - show me a job where people don't work through their breaks/are under pressure/meet targets......its called working life.......

A sad sign of the times I fear. Too few jobs, too many people looking for jobs, too few staff doing too much work and too many customers clammering for quicker, cheaper, more convenient ways to shop. Companies want high profits and low overheads and its often the workers who suffer. I once worked a Christmas period for a high street department store and it was awful. I regularly missed my breaks because I wasn`t allowed to leave the till or shop floor until someone relieved me, inbetween bouts on the till there was a million and one other jobs to do such as refilling or tidying stock, manning the fitting rooms, dealing with customers or simply fetching and carrying things from the stockroom, often very heavy weights or trolleys. The managers expected you to work day in, day out, 7 days a week and then after Christmas they could lay you off without a thank you or by your leave because you`re on zero hours. I can honestly say in a full day`s work the only time I ever stopped or sat down was during my lunch break, if I actually got one and my stint at the store was in the days before internet shopping so it looks as if things haven`t changed at all. Nowadays it all seems to be confined to warehouses but such treatment is nothing new.

The thing that shocked me most in the programme was that sickness is classed as a disciplinary offence..... Someone who threw up on site and had to go home was charged half a penalty point and three mean dismissal. The guy on the film was a fit young chap and even he found the targets impossible so he could get even more points by being too slow. I know these are agency staff with fewer statutory rights but surely there are laws to cover basic workers' rights like absence through sickness (especially sickness caused by exhaustion through unrealistic targets??). I was completely unaware that UK employers could work staff to the point of exhaustion with no risk of legal action being taken against them.

Last edited:
They had people from the Amazon warehouse in Wales on bbc breakfast news the other day. They seemed quite happy (mind they wouldnt dare say otherwise would they lol) and 1 of the girls had worked there first as temp Christmas staff and was then offered a full time job the next year. the UK manager was saying how they had been working hard to improve working standards so def. running scared in the PR department lol
Personally I don't think Amazon will be any different to most companies in the same market and all of the staff will be working over time and really hard this time of year. I have only ever had a good shopping experience with Amazon and given the prices of the goods (mostly but not always cheaper) and the free delivery I would always prefer to buy from them than QVC

amazon are by far cheaper offer better brands and customer service is far superior to qvc but I am not impressed with people being treated like chattel. there has to be a mid point

Latest posts

Back