Liz Earle Self Tan - discontinued

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Rudolf

Registered Shopper
Not much of this on QVC - so I usually order direct. It was out of stock in the large size so I e-mailed.

There have been calls for one of the ingredients in self tan - DHA - to be further tested due to popularity in tan booths where there are concerns that the product will be breathed in. Although they do not think it is dangerous, the further testing would be done on animals so LE has decided to discontinue. The little bottles they still have were made prior to animal testing.

Glad she has done this, now intend to spend summer as white as a sheet.

Of course, I am no expert but this ingredient, I guess must be in lots if not all self tan products.

Wow - that's quite interesting. I don't use self-tan any longer due to the fact that I can't be bothered, but I definately won't be using it in the future either. I wonder if the old fashioned lotion self tans are safe (ie you're not breathing the stuff in, but one would assume that the skin is absorbing it?).

Don't really self tan due to allergic to them. I could use Liz's one and as long as only one coat twice a week I was fine. There was always a waiting list for it on her site too. Have to say it was possible to get a mouthfull of it by accident now and then.

DHA is in all fake tan as it is the DHA that makes your skin change colour so I wonder what will happen now with other companies

I am disappointed that the LE tan wont be available but glad they have done this due to the animal testing

Its good to see LE standing up for what she believes in. My respect for her has increased as even though her fake tan is so popular, she is discontinuing it due to animal testing Good on you Liz. If only more companies were as ethical eh?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

This is the one and only fake tan I've ever been able to get on with. I don't mind being pale but dammit sometimes I want to look like I haven't been painted white!

Wonder what the shelf life is on this unopened?

*weeps*

Yeah, I should point out that I'm against animal testing and so I wouldn't for a minute want the product to continue if it meant testing on bunnies but I'm just gutted that once again, something I finally find that I really like is on the way out!

Good on Liz for not carrying on with it due to animal testing but it's also a shame - I was gonna try that this year! Anyone else recommend another animal friendly self tan that's easy to apply? I don't normally use them.

I am glad that LE has stuck to her word - no animal testing. Her fake tan was the only one I have found that does not make me itch. The e-mail I received suggests that DHA is in most, if not all, fake tans so I suppose this means that animal testing will apply to lots of brands.

That's me looking like a ghost for the summer then - it's not the white legs so much, it's the blue of the varicose veins that fake tan did hide a bit!

I am glad that LE has stuck to her word - no animal testing. Her fake tan was the only one I have found that does not make me itch. The e-mail I received suggests that DHA is in most, if not all, fake tans so I suppose this means that animal testing will apply to lots of brands.

That's me looking like a ghost for the summer then - it's not the white legs so much, it's the blue of the varicose veins that fake tan did hide a bit!

Okay getting a bit confused now ... Green People have a self tanner listed on their site so I wanted to see if that had DHA (Dihydroxyacetone) in it too. It does but it says it's sugar derived ... is that the one that is being retested? Not that I am planning on buying the GP one, just curious to see if its the same ingredient for future reference.

I was on LE chat this afternoon and they said

"Manufacturers of DHA in Europe have been asked to test the safety of DHA and to do this it has to be tested on animals"

they then said

"that it isnt that DHA isnt safe to use its just that they want more data to prove that it is safe"

They then said

"Our philosphy states that none of our products or ingredients are ever tested on animals, therefore regardless of the outcome of these tests and until an alternative source is found we have withdrawn it from our range"

I have put what they said in quote marks but remember this was just in general chat on their website and its not a statement from the company or anything so I wouldnt want anyone taking this out of context or anything but thought it better to "quote" what was actually said rather than try to put it into my own words, hopefully that makes sense, ok I will stop waffling now :D

I was on LE chat this afternoon and they said

"Manufacturers of DHA in Europe have been asked to test the safety of DHA and to do this it has to be tested on animals"

they then said

"that it isnt that DHA isnt safe to use its just that they want more data to prove that it is safe"

They then said

"Our philosphy states that none of our products or ingredients are ever tested on animals, therefore regardless of the outcome of these tests and until an alternative source is found we have withdrawn it from our range"

I have put what they said in quote marks but remember this was just in general chat on their website and its not a statement from the company or anything so I wouldnt want anyone taking this out of context or anything but thought it better to "quote" what was actually said rather than try to put it into my own words, hopefully that makes sense, ok I will stop waffling now :D

That's also what was said in the e-mail to me from LE Customer Services.

Looks like that'll be me stocking up then! Luckily a bottle lasts me ages so I might just get two/three. I'm moving to Australia next year anyway so once I'm there i'll be more worried about sunblock than anything else!! :13:

Anyone know how long this is good for unopened?

Tx

A shame for those that liked the product & a shame for Liz Earle too but the company would obviously presumably rather hold onto their Leaping Bunny status than lose it for the sake of one single product, no matte how good or popular that product may be!

Cruelty-free is after all one of the foundation basics LE is built on & they therefore have little or no choice but to discontinue the tanner, as along with the loss of the L.B. status, they would lose lot of their integrity along with it!

Presumably all these latest demands for testing are down to some blerdy silly EU regulation that now insists on testing many natural products that have been used for blinkin' centuries, so they can be deemed 'safe' for us to continue using! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back