Kuhn Rikon TSVon 19 July

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

kirkiegirl

Registered Shopper
Did anyone else buy the Ultimate Pot with steamer basket? I tried mine today for the first time, on an induction hob. I had to take it off the hob because it was making the most awful noise. I was making pasta so had quite a lot of water in it and am wondering if somehow the weight of it with the water was causing the top of the hob to press down on something internally although the top of the hob is glass so I don't see how that could happen. I often do very heavy things on the hob and have never had this problem but maybe because of the size of the pan the weight is concentrated over a very small area. Has anyone else tried it on an induction hob?

Just guessing here because I have never had that happen with the hob here but perhaps there wasn't complete contact with the hob and the pot base. I can always hear the slight buzzing noise when the hob is in use,but what you're talking about sounds somewhat alarming.

Thanks Vampyre for suggesting that. I am going to give it another try tomorrow with less water and I will have a good look at how well it sits on the hob.
Thanks to you too Loveinamist. Cook Star seems to be aluminium. The TSV one is stainless steel so should be ok for induction.
I have never heard a noise like it when I use the hob. I tried a bigger pan with water afterwards to check that it hadn't developed a fault but it was ok with that pan, maybe because the weight was spread over a bigger area.. I assumed the noise camer from the hob but I wonder if it could have come from the pan itself. It is really disappointing as one of the reasons I bought it was to cook pasta in the basket so that I wouldn't have to lift a heavy pan to drain it.

It is really disappointing as one of the reasons I bought it was to cook pasta in the basket so that I wouldn't have to lift a heavy pan to drain it.

If you don't get this sorted, you could try microwaving pasta in a microwave rice cooker. Won't work for long spaghetti but is fine for all other pasta, and is so easy I snap long spaghetti into smaller pieces so I can microwave it. It has an inner basket that can be lifted out to drain, so no heavy pans to lift.

This will almost certainly be the only cooking tip you'll ever see from me - I loathe cooking and if it can't live in the fridge/freezer and die in the microwave it doesn't enter my shopping trolley. Had a new kitchen fitted when I moved into this house some years ago, and have probably only turned the hob on around half a dozen times. This is why I was so excited when I saw DietChef - it's the absolutely perfect diet for me!

My induction hob complains if the pan used is too small for the ring, which put me off ordering this TSV as the base is smaller then the smallest ring on the hob. The steel construction should work, but I find my induction hob a bit temperamental: I hate that it beeps when I tllt a pan eg. to baste a fried egg or to move around a stir fry. Also at Christmas I tried to make gravy in a roasting pan heating on two rings but the hob couldn't cope with the overlap between the rings and kept switching off and beeping. Thankfully my cooking is pretty basic these days but if I were cooking with a bit more flair these things would be more annoying; it's a point to remember if you're shopping for a new hob. The flip side is that it takes liquids from cold to rapidly boiling in seconds.

Jude xx

Jude xx

Latest posts

Back