Jill Franks has saved me nearly £200

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Tilley

Registered Shopper
Wanted to see the Illy coffee programme today with a view to buying the coffee machine. Jill Franks was hyper. Maybe she had been drinking lots of the coffee. She was prattling on at express train speed and the poor guest struggled to get a word in edgeways. JF asked her a few times to demonstrate how the machine worked and then still went on and on so the guest couldn't do what she had asked her to do. I stood it as long as I could but couldn't put up with her long enough to see the steamer part properly. If there is someone else doing a subsequent programme and I can see and hear what the guest is saying then I may buy one but not today thank you JF.

I'd like to have a coffee machine but surely it's cheaper to get some ground beans and a cafetiere!?

It's a good time to buy it (or anything really) now with the extended MBG, think twice Tilley.

That's how we slum it! When it cools down, a minute in the microwave and presto! a mug of delicious, hot, aroma-filled coffee. Plus we've got loads of beans in the 500g pack still, so we don't have to faff on buying and storing those expensive little cartons. A 12-cup cafetiere in Homebase for £9.99 - 500g of premium beans £8. Mmmm... just thinking coffee right now ...

edit: also a grinder if you need one for under £20, and you can use it for loads of other things, too. Or you can just buy the ground beans, if you haven't time for grinding.

I thought that my comment was somewhat positive in a way "don't let Jill spoil your shopping".
Well, I thought it was great that you saved £200 Tilley

I bought a George Clooney one ! he has the power to sell me ANYTHING !!!! Get him selling on QVC and I'll be bankrupt within 24 hours !!!

We have a dualit coffee maker - (chrome square one). My hubby uses it (I don't like coffee!!).
WE bought it from Fenwick for £130 should have been about £180. Have to say he loves it and uses it loads. We looked at a lot of machines before buying this and it's much sturdier and feels less cheap (some were quite tinny)
Mollymoo

Nobody could convince me to part with all that money for a coffee machine in the first place. QVC charge the most ridiculous prices for that kind of thing.

I wonder why there is all this coffee snobbery? And why are the Italians looked to as an authority on coffee? Do they grow coffee beans? NO! They just put a bit of hot water through them better than any other nation! Hahahaha I remember when I was a kid there were these Gold Blend adverts on television with a couple that lived upstairs from each other, and the adverts were made into a soap opera with some dramatic thing happening around a jar of cheap old instant coffee. The woman in the ads wore a gold coffee bean pendant and my mum bought one to look just like her! The height of sophistication! looool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chCIVDDz7hM

Last edited:
I had that pendant as a child Julius. My aunt bought it from Argos as a christmas present for me. I loved it so much that a few years ago I had my scrap gold melted down and a solid gold pendant made using the old hollow one as a mould. Itis my favourite piece of jewellery and I don't have much of it. And yes it is a very sophisticated, solid, quality piece.

I had that pendant as a child Julius. My aunt bought it from Argos as a christmas present for me. I loved it so much that a few years ago I had my scrap gold melted down and a solid gold pendant made using the old hollow one as a mould. Itis my favourite piece of jewellery and I don't have much of it. And yes it is a very sophisticated, solid, quality piece.

Aw, that's a lovely story. I have got my gold coffee bean here now. Just looking at it. When my mother passed away I sold many of her rings and things as I didn't have any real need for them, but for some reason I couldn't quite part with the coffee bean. My mother loved that pendant. I remember getting it valued at H Samuel in Churchill Square in Brighton before it was rebuilt, and I remember going to Fabric Fayre in Sydney Street. There was a coffee shop that would grind beans next door and I would look in wonderment at them through the window, filtering through into the machine, and would say "look mum, those beans aren't gold!"

Your mum had good taste Julius. The irony is I don't really like coffee! Though I am partial to a cappuccino in the mornings from either the bus or train station wherever I am working that day.

I got some earings to match. Think the gold blend lady had a ring as well but I didn't have one of those.

Your mum had good taste Julius. The irony is I don't really like coffee! Though I am partial to a cappuccino in the mornings from either the bus or train station wherever I am working that day.

I got some earings to match. Think the gold blend lady had a ring as well but I didn't have one of those.

Yes, I think the adverts were designed to be aspirational, in that poor families like ours could buy that coffee and buy into the idea of sophistication they the adverts were designed to impart. The couple in the ads lived in stylish apartments, were good looking, sophisticated and seemed to be jetting off to New York and Milan all the time, and hob-nobbing over cups of cheap coffee! I'm sure that couple wouldn't have drunk that cheap old instant coffee if their lives depended on it, even in the 80s! Ferrero Rocher did that with their Ambassador's Reception advert. It was almost a kind of in joke that you could buy those Ferrerro things for £2 at every garage and corner shop in the country! Personally my favourite ad was Fry's Turkish Delight, trying to make a lump of rose-flavoured gelatine seem exotic, and making Turkey seem like the far East instead!

Latest posts

Back