Future value of Charlie Bears

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Flying Pigs

Registered Shopper
Since the last TSV there has been an antiques programme during which bears were discussed. As the antique Steiff and original British made bears are not likely to make the amount the new Charlie ones cost,people can only be buying these bears because they think they are worth the money, not as an investment ( I am talking about the really expensive ones). The programme visited the Merrythought factory where British bears have been made and continue to be made since the mid 20th century. We have different jewellery manufacturers on , why not different bear makers for a change?

I agree FP. If we're going to be subjected to stuffed toys at least ring the changes a bit.

My own teddy bear has no fancy label but is none the worse for it. At least he didn't say anything to the contrary last time I opened the airing cupboard. (He likes to keep warm).

I'm not sure Charlie Bears will be around too long on QVC as, altho I didn't watch today, they don't seem to be selling as well at mo, the reason could be they r significantly cheaper everywhere else and with free P&P seems strange QVC are pricing themselves out of the market from what I can see

Hi,

I have a couple of Merrythought stuffed animals. They are lovely - and they have a great range.
I think they would good on QVC as they would offer an alternative to the usual bears.

My fave is a green hippo!

Cheers,
karen

Future values? Doesn't that depend on how many are produced in the first place... and the 'cult' following.

Price is usually driven by availability and demand (plus durability of the product and brand reputation).

I'm not really too familiar with the Charlie Bear brand... is it really 'up there' with Steiff?

I always think it's sad to buy a bear (or any toy really) and then keep it in a box and not use it and enjoy it... there is nothing cuter than a well used, slightly balding bear that has clearly been loved along the way :sun:.

Future values? Doesn't that depend on how many are produced in the first place... and the 'cult' following.

Price is usually driven by availability and demand (plus durability of the product and brand reputation).

I'm not really too familiar with the Charlie Bear brand... is it really 'up there' with Steiff?

I always think it's sad to buy a bear (or any toy really) and then keep it in a box and not use it and enjoy it... there is nothing cuter than a well used, slightly balding bear that has clearly been loved along the way :sun:.

Completely agree with you. I bought two of these for one-off special presents for young family members. They were beautiful bears (especially 'Paul') and they are perfect for little ones to cuddle and love, but not bought as investments as that's not what teddies are for IMO.

As to future value of any bear exclusivity is key and Id have thought the numbers of these bears produced and thd fact that people but these as investments rather than a toy that later survives as one of a few, works against the availability/exclusivity point.

Since the last TSV there has been an antiques programme during which bears were discussed. As the antique Steiff and original British made bears are not likely to make the amount the new Charlie ones cost,people can only be buying these bears because they think they are worth the money, not as an investment ( I am talking about the really expensive ones). The programme visited the Merrythought factory where British bears have been made and continue to be made since the mid 20th century. We have different jewellery manufacturers on , why not different bear makers for a change?

Could you tell me which programme this was and do you know when as I would like to watch it. Many thanks in advance

I'm not sure Charlie Bears will be around too long on QVC as, altho I didn't watch today, they don't seem to be selling as well at mo, the reason could be they r significantly cheaper everywhere else and with free P&P seems strange QVC are pricing themselves out of the market from what I can see

I think they are relying on the fact that they get the bears first and people really want them so will pay a bit more. I feel sorry for the individual bear shops though as some people will pre order the bear(s) they want with the shops and then see on QVC and order with them, that's unfair on the individual retailers. Charlie should remember that she started with her own individual shop even though QVC have been instrumental to their success. Charlie and Will could insist that QVC charge the RRPs but evidently they don't. CB used to send out a RRP list with their catalogues but they have stopped doing this now, obviously due to QVC. It does seem out of order that their prices used to be lower.
Interestingly yesterday they said that Fish - last month's TSV had sold 2000 of the 3000 limit. They really went on about how happy customers who had bought him are. The TSVs used to sell out with higher numbers in stock. I think Ming and Mercedes - their best TSV a couple of years ago were 4000 each. They have also bought Fish back on 3 Easy pays less than 3 weeks after he was on as the TSV which they never usually do. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on clearance.
I think if they are going to take the company forward they need to bring in new designers. Isabelle designs lovely bears however there are quite a lot that look very similar now. There was one on yesterday - Boris who was lovely, however he looks very similar to Bobby Dazzler and Bob the Christmas elf bear. I've actually sold quite a lot of mine on the auction site recently which raised funds to buy some mohair pieces. I just decided that I had too many! I got more than I paid - up to 100% more for all of the bears that are retired and about cost price for the ones that you can still get hold of.

Last edited:
Two words: Beanie Babies!

Just calling something "collectable" don't make it so.

Jude xx

I have only made one foray into the world of Charlie bears (Rhubarb and Crumble were limited edition) and, due to the poor quality, would not repurchase. I am an archtophile so , my standards are quite high, having previously only bought from premium ranges. I think that the price of the bears is reflected in that quality of Charlie bears. But even now, once Charlie and Will managed to lure teddy bear lovers into their sickly sweet love story, the prices have increased. In my opinion, if you buy Charlie bears you do so either because you cannot afford truly collectable bears - and we should only spend what we can afford - or you like a particular bear, and are not bothered by it's future value, or whether or not it is a small limited edition. Personally, I wouldn't buy a bear with a LE of more than 100, another reason why Charlie bears are not for me. They do sell at a premium on an auction site; this is not indicative of it's value, just it's popularity, and the two are not necessarily one and the same.
Charlie bears will never be on a par with Hermann or Steiff but, fundamentally, they are a big seller for the Q. As long as the demand for the bears is there, we will have this narcissistic couple and their business shoved down our throats.
Thank goodness for the remote!

Latest posts

Back