Distance Selling Regulations.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I was watching Don't Get Done Get Dom this morning, and reporter Rani Price, was presenting a piece on the difference between being able to return something bought on the internet, and in store. According to Trading Standards, and DSRs, if you make an internet purchase, because you were unable to either try it on, or feel/touch it, examine it but, you are able to return it for a full refund, including postage. The same did not apply to in store purchases, as they were made in person. It does not have to be faulty. So that should, in effect, mean that if one orders, for example, a Northern Nights duvet set and, once put on the bed, doesn't like the look of it, or the quality and way it feels, one can return it and even get the postage back. It does make one question whether the 30 day MBG is as big a deal as the Q make out; it is the USP of the business. According to the DSRs, they are obliged to refund your money including postage, if you simply change your mind. IW only have a 14 day but, this is irrelevant. Surely we can return it anyway if we decide we don't want it? I must admit, one of the reasons I shop with the Q, apart from the excellent CS, is the MBG. But this is, fundamentally, a psychological ploy. They are not offering us anything they are not required to, by law.

If you search distance selling you'll find lots of discussion on the topic Lou. A minor point, the bedding in your scenario would have to be intact in it's packaging as it cannot be "used" to qualify as a cancelled order under the DSR. Equally you could open a cosmetic compact but not sample an eye shadow.

I think there's an exception regarding shoes, but can't remember what it is, and most online shoe shops - Clarks and Pavers etc will allow returns with no sign of wear.

DSR = statutory right to cancel goods bought from internet / catalogue etc (the subject of many, many threads on here already)

- item must be unused, in original packaging etc
- must be rejected within 7 working days of receipt

QVC MBG = offered in addition to statutory rights

- item can be used
- must be returned within 30 days

There IS a very real difference between the two... for instance, you could buy a face cream open it, try it and then return it and Q will refund (yes, subject to their 'fair use' policy). Whereas, try that with Boots or Salon Skincare and see how far you get.

Last edited:
If you search distance selling you'll find lots of discussion on the topic Lou. A minor point, the bedding in your scenario would have to be intact in it's packaging as it cannot be "used" to qualify as a cancelled order under the DSR. Equally you could open a cosmetic compact but not sample an eye shadow.

I think there's an exception regarding shoes, but can't remember what it is, and most online shoe shops - Clarks and Pavers etc will allow returns with no sign of wear.

Interesting but, surely, Akimbo, to know whether the quality of something is what you would expect, you would have to be able to open the packaging and feel it, eh? These things are never as straightforward as they first seem, are they? Realistically, how many people would phone the Q to return an item, just because it didn't live up to expectations, quoting DSRs to them, asking for their postage back? I would assume not many. What would be the Q's reaction if they did? I also think that, if the Q were adamant that no postage would be refunded, the buyer would most likely leave it, rather than have the hassle of threatening to contact trading standards about what, in most cases, is not a significant amount of money.

QVC are well aware of DSRs... I have phoned them quite a few times to inform them of DSR returns and they put a note on the account. Usually there is no problem, but if the postage isn't refunded first time around then I give them another call and they do it whilst I'm on the 'phone.

Here it is from their website:

http://www.qvcuk.com/terms.content.html

9.4 You also have a statutory right to cancel your purchase. If you wish to cancel you must tell us in writing, including by fax (fax number 0151 551 2870) or email (please see our webform at www.qvcuk.com for email cancellations) within 7 working days from the day after the date on which the product is delivered. You should keep evidence of having given your cancellation notice, such as a certificate of posting or fax confirmation report. You must take reasonable care of the product and you should return the product to us (at your own risk and cost) within 7 working days of notifying us of your cancellation. The product must be returned unused (except to the extent use was reasonably necessary to examine the product). Please return the product with its original packaging. The following products are excluded from this legal right to cancel: (i) perishable products such as food or flowers; (ii) audio/video recordings, DVDs or computer software that you have taken out of the sealed packaging in which they were delivered to you; (iii) products made to your own specification; (iv) periodicals or magazines; and (v) any other products that by reason of their nature cannot be returned. We will refund the purchase price of the product together with the delivery charge you paid to receive the product.

Last edited:
Under the DSR the item cannot be used and it strikes me there is quite a difference between a 7 working days and a 30 days return policy. Whatever else you think of qvc, their returns policy goes far beyond their legal requirements.

I return 99% of my returns under the DSR. I just send them an email saying I'm cancelling under DSR and ask them to confirm that they will refund my original postage without my having to chase them for it. Saves me a blummin fortune and on the whole I know straight away whether something's a keeper or not. An odd item slips through and then I use the 30 day MBG, often when I've found a better deal online, even allowing for the lost p&p in both directions. Sometimes I have a "what was I thinking" epiphany on day 28!

I have never had a problem getting my postage back from qvc ever. if they don't automatically refund I phone and ask for it. I am careful what I buy though. I live near central London and can buy anything I want locally.

Yep, QVC are very familiar with their obligations under the DSR and will abide by it without quibble. The DSR are meant to put you in the same position as you would be has you had the opportunity to inspect goods (not try them out) in a store. Having inspected (but not used) the goods, you can then choose to cancel your order, but it must be returned in pristine, unused condition. There are a number of items which are exempt from the DSR, for example, perishable foods, flowers, personalised items, digital services such as downloads. Many reputable retailers offer money back/returns policies which are in addition to their statutory legal requirements, which from their perspective makes good business sense, as it encourages people to buy. The best guarantee policy still goes to Lakeland, where you can return any product, at any time, for whatever reason, in any state.

Can anyone find that really long DSR thread that was here?

I ordered via app when I thought I was just fiddling around (honest).

It was the Liz Earle TSV which will probably come via my nice courier lady.

I am wondering if I can refuse delivery and therefore not pay for its return?

All my years of QVC buying and I can STILL mess it up!

:sad:

Yep, email QVC and say you're cancelling the order and just tell your courier (who'll still get paid for the parcel) that you're refusing delivery.

Latest posts

Back