Distance Selling Regulations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Frazzled

Sense of humour intact
Hello All – item on the news today, see also BBC News Channel "Web stores warned on sales rules" Makes very interesting reading

Distance Selling Regulations, apply to anything purchased via telephone, internet or television. Lots of useful info - especially re-returns "retailers are also bound to refund any postage and packing fee on original delivery"

I feel an email or two coming on!

Last edited:
Hello All – item on the news today, see also BBC News Channel "Web stores warned on sales rules" Makes very interesting reading

Distance Selling Regulations, apply to anything purchased via telephone, internet or television. Lots of useful info - especially "retailers are also bound to refund any postage and packing fee on original delivery"

These have been in force for quite a few years now and a simple internet search will provide a lot of info and resources.

Distance Selling Regulations, apply to anything purchased via telephone, internet or television. Lots of useful info - especially "retailers are also bound to refund any postage and packing fee on original delivery"

I saw this as well and have had postage refunded by John Lewis, I think their must be a get out clause somewhere that excludes shopping channels, however, I think that I will be sending an email as have just returned an item and had a refund minus the postage

My email has gone and will post the QVC response as soon as it arrive. I should think their will be a lot of angry customer if it turns out that they should have been refunding postage and am not really sure how they could circumnavigate these regs. We shall see!!

The refunding of orginal p and p is in QVC's terms and conditions, it is the refunding of p and p in the 30 day money back guarantee that they don't do, presumably unless the item if faulty.

sorry, think i might be missing the point here. is it the refunding of the p&p that's being referred to? if so, i understood it had to be refunded only if you were cancelling the order within the 7 days, outside of that time, you don't get your p&p back. i think even if you returned something within 7 days, if you don't actually specify it's a cancellation, not just 'i changed my mind', they're not obliged to refund p&p.

obviously if an items faulty then p&p should be refunded no matter when it's returned.

or am i just confused? :)

Last edited:
I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect postage to be refunded if the item is faulty or not as described, however... if it does prove to be the case that any returned item, for whatever reason is due postage refunds I think the price increases levied to cover this will deter even the most avid customers.

I do think QVC need to address their postage costs, surely an order placed with two items from the same source, ie, Liz Earle should qualify for one postage. I know this is an ongoing debate but I think returns would get seriously out of hand if postage was refunded and we all would suffer with higher prices as a result.

The refunding of orginal p and p is in QVC's terms and conditions, it is the refunding of p and p in the 30 day money back guarantee that they don't do, presumably unless the item if faulty.

According to the news, and the regulations, what the condition of the product is inis has no bearing on refunded postage, it applies to anything bought other than in the shop, i.e. internet, phone etc. Maybe they will be forced to rewrite their T&Cs. Merry Christmas QVC.

Think I must be interpreting the rules differently. You need to cancel an order within 7 days of receipt to receive the p and p back, which QVC already do. They seem to be complying with the law.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect postage to be refunded if the item is faulty or not as described, however... if it does prove to be the case that any returned item, for whatever reason is due postage refunds I think the price increases levied to cover this will deter even the most avid customers.

I do think QVC need to address their postage costs, surely an order placed with two items from the same source, ie, Liz Earle should qualify for one postage. I know this is an ongoing debate but I think returns would get seriously out of hand if postage was refunded and we all would suffer with higher prices as a result.

I am 100% with you on this one. Well said.

Think I must be interpreting the rules differently. You need to cancel an order within 7 days of receipt to receive the p and p back, which QVC already do. They seem to be complying with the law.

On the John Lewis website, it tells customers that if they intend to send an item back, ring customer service within 7 days and send back via Royal Mail enclosing the ref no they give you and they will refund the postage they charged you to send it to you but not what you paid to send it back. This sounds like the scenario they were talking about on the news about cancelling within 7 days so John Lewis are complying with the regulation. Debenhams was also mentioned in a positive light. It sounds like it does not matter if you have received the order as long as you cancel within 7 days. If you send it back within 7 days and have proof that you posted it then this would appear to be sufficient. maybe QVC need to make their policy clear on this as it seems a bit wooley.

I've tried to cancel orders within 24 hrs and been told it was too late! Also most things turn up within the week. The news article seems to indicate that most companies are unintentionally misinterpreting the rules, we need some clarification. I have to agree with others comments, if true, it would unfortunately lead to price rises

deleted... I am only repeating myself !!!

Last edited:
I'm sure that QVC know the 7 day cancellation rule and in their T&Cs they do state you are entitled to claim your postage back if you cancel within 7 days for whatever reason - but you have to ask of course and most customers don;t I'm sure (because it's hidden away in the small print).. Also this woudl only apply to items returned unused and in original packaging/ resaleable condition.

Latest posts

Back