Bathroom companys

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
My bathroom needs refitting.

It's a nightmare finding someoine to do it who wont rip you off so feel inclined to go down the B&Q/Homebase/Wickes "complete service" route. but horror stories on line abound.

Anyone got any experiences good or bad?

You'll pay over the odds and a lot of the stuff is overpriced crap.

Did ours three years ago with B and Q. Absolutely delighted with ours, they sent a surveyor round first to make sure everything we wanted would fit, then did us a computer 'mock up' of how it would look. All work done in three days, they took out old suite, absolutely beautiful tiling job including floor tiles, fitted everything perfectly. Two great guys who knew exactly what they were doing and a project manager at the end of the phone. Honestly couldn't have been more pleased, still looks gorgeous and as good as new. Interest free credit, £150 a month for three years, just made the last payment!!

Have you tried asking around to find a plumber who's trustworthy?

We had our bathroom refitted in February.
Our regular plumber passed on his trade discount of 20% to us, and he ordered the bathroom fittings on our behalf. [It's made by Roca, so it's good quality.]
We gave him the keys and went on holiday for a week.

We came home to a shiny new bathroom, and all it needed was new flooring.
The whole thing, including tiling, shower screen, etc, etc, came in at less than £1500, and since we'd roughly budgeted [ie., plucked random figure out of thin air] for double that, we were really pleased.

I'd recommend it as a means to an end, if you see what I mean, but of course, it does depend on finding a plumber you can trust.

what about ratedpeople.com Burlz? My OH is a self-employed joiner and if we need anything doing, if he can't do it himself he usually knows someone who can, but his recommendation is to ask around - word of mouth is better than anything.

Thanks all.. Problem is that I live in an apartment in the city centre and it's not exactly neighbourly. The person who lives next door has been there a year and i havent actually seen him/her yet. I suppose i could "knock on" with a home made Victoria sponge but I'm not really interested (unless he/she has had a new bathroom, which they haven't cios I'd have seen the mess). So you ask people who live in the 'burbs and they suggest someone, you ring them and they go "city centre? Sorry mate it's not worth my time.. Skips, traffic. Wardens, parking, stairs blah blah" . It's a world full of no's.

I may have a look at ratedpeople... Ta fr the suggestion.

what about ratedpeople.com Burlz? My OH is a self-employed joiner and if we need anything doing, if he can't do it himself he usually knows someone who can, but his recommendation is to ask around - word of mouth is better than anything.

Sorry to butt in on your thread, hope you get sorted soon and get a lovely new bathroom BurlZ

Can I ask BM, a bit more about ratedpeople, do they actually phone you with quotes if you put your details
in or do you get via email?
I am looking for a plumber to plumb in a new american style fridge freezer
and thought this sounds good
its difficult getting decent tradesmen who do a good job and who dont want to rip you off

TIA

sorry Bluebell, I've no idea, I've just seen it on the telly and thought it might be handy for Burlz! It IS difficult getting decent tradesmen, you're right there, OH gets all of his work thru recommendation and has regular customers who pass his name around..short of asking round friends and neighbours tho you'd have to check the local papers maybe - sorry can't be more help.

Burlz - yep, it's a problem if you live in the city centre - here in Nottm you can't even drive into the centre never mind park..it would be in the multi-storey and toting all your tools along to the job - not easy with a new bath!

Re rated people and other trade websites it's worth checking the many threads out on MSE if you can. Most are not favourable I'm afraid. Must be a nightmare if you can't find good tradesman by word of mouth. I could recommend who to use around here but that's not much help for either Burlz or Bluebell.

Forgot to say it's the In My Home part of MSE to look at.

Last edited:
We had our bathroom and separate toilet gutted two years ago and the two men done a fab job. Their labour cost was £2750 and we feel it was worth every penny. PM me BB for their number if you are interested. Have just booked a builder to renovate our kitchen, not as big a job as the bathroom and found him on MyBuilder.com.

My sisters just has Wicks completely redo her bathroom and shower rooms, they did the survey and designs and their own plumber's have fitted it all including the floor and wall tiles, I haven't seen it yet but she's very pleased with it so they might be worth looking at

This is waaay too late, but for future reference, Lakes Bathrooms are fantastic. I can't even remember where they were based (Gloucester maybe?). I bought one of their shower enclosures from Leekes (based in South Wales) and our fitter made a cock up so it leaked. Leekes rang Lakes and they sent a bloke down the very next day. He re-fitted a new enclosure that's been there 5 years on with no bother whatsoever.

Another huge plus is that they use a coating that makes keeping the glass clean incredibly easy. They reckon it lasts two years and can be re-coated simply DIY but ours is still like new and hasn't needed re-doing (despite us buying the kit several years ago!).

And just for the icing on the cake, it was nowhere near as expensive as the majority we'd seen in Wickes/B&Q/Focus (at the time) and several other independents.

ETA: The kit is £35 and can be used on all makes of enclosure and even on natural stone worktops. Fab stuff - called AllClear.

Last edited:
gotta chuckle alter ego. So did I read it right? Your Lakes shower from Leekes Leaked, so the Leekes man rang Lakes to fix the leek? What a tongue twister!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back