Bare Escentuals mineral powder - don't know which colour to purchase

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

kath

Registered Shopper
I have never used Bare Escentuals and QVC are offering a "try me kit" at the moment. I have pale skin, would I purchase fairly light or light? Any help would be gratefully received.

Hi kath

What colour foundation do you usually wear - and are you pink based or yellow/neutral base (one of the best ways to see which is to look at the veins in your forearm are they mainly green or mainly blue looking - a greeny tinge is more yellow based and a bluey colour is more pink based.

Me neither just found out i thought i was yellow based when am pink based wondered why some foudations look carp lol

Yellow bases skintones tend to be more olive based (even if you are very fair) - you tend to have more sallow skintones.
Pink based fair skins are more translucent, often with freckles, may have a tendency to blush more often.
Trouble is that many of us are neutral, so slap bang in the middle.

Often you need to match your foundation to your neck (where the colour may be more true) than your face.

Some foundations (particularly the Smashbox Healthy FX) are very forgiving - but others are less so and as Shortcake say, will make you look carp - even though it seems to suit the skin colour (fair/light/med etc...)

When you find your perfect colour you don't often realise that it is the colour match that makes it look fantastic.

Hi kath

What colour foundation do you usually wear - and are you pink based or yellow/neutral base (one of the best ways to see which is to look at the veins in your forearm are they mainly green or mainly blue looking - a greeny tinge is more yellow based and a bluey colour is more pink based.

ANother way... umm trying not to be rude regarding private areas..

Ok lets say this way .. are your ( not asking personally just generally ) areolas more pinky or browny.
Steering dangerous waters there but definitely helps to know whether warm or cool make-up tones are best.

On holiday in Miami and feeling reckless...Might be back later after evening cocktails.

i was thinking of going for this kit my skin tone is about the same as anne dawson do you think the fairly light would be to light as i found the medium a touch to dark.

I have fair skin and I have taken the plunge and ordered fairly light. I don't really know what the difference is between fairly light and light.

Hi kath

I never knew that either:rolleyes:

I have fair skin and I have taken the plunge and ordered fairly light. I don't really know what the difference is between fairly light and light.

I have fair skin and fairly light suits me, it's quite forgiving I would say and light is a tad too dark on me, hope this helps.

Have a look on the Bare Escentuals website - they have a guide to colours there. I use medium beige in the winter and medium tan in the summer with warmth on top if I have a good tan, but I have a fairly dark olive skin which tans easily.

Now I'm confused I always thought that the 'light' was lighter than 'fairly light' am I wrong ??:?::?::?:

Yes.....and no.....

Sorry Jabba, Fairly Light is classically lighter than Light - think of it as Fair, Fairly Light, Light and so on.

However Light is for more yellow based skintones and Fairly light is good for more pink based skintones. So if Fairly light was too pale for you (and you are pink based), then the next on up would be medium beige. IYSWIM :D

Have a look on the Bare Escentuals website - they have a guide to colours there. I use medium beige in the winter and medium tan in the summer with warmth on top if I have a good tan, but I have a fairly dark olive skin which tans easily.

Hi Rosey, I too have skin that tans easily (but I would refer to my complexion as light-to-medium olive). I have recently bought the new BE foundation shade 'golden medium' from a US ebay seller (though I think a few of the UK ones stock it now) and it is a perfect match for my olive complexion, as I felt that medium beige was just too pinky for me. I thought I'd mention it in case you fancied trying it. I think Jayne said that at one point you might be able to buy this from her too (Jayne, please do correct me if I got this wrong!).

Latest posts

Back