Advice on sizing

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Caroleanne

Registered Shopper
In jackets do you buy exactly what your bust measures as the makers allow for it or do you add an inch or two I know in coats on QVC I`ve heard them say add about 4 inches to your actual size then choose your size accordingly as they usually have to accommodate knitwear etc.underneath whereas with a jacket blouses and tops are closer and lighter fitting.

In jackets do you buy exactly what your bust measures as the makers allow for it or do you add an inch or two I know in coats on QVC I`ve heard them say add about 4 inches to your actual size then choose your size accordingly as they usually have to accommodate knitwear etc.underneath whereas with a jacket blouses and tops are closer and lighter fitting.

I usually by my normal size, but that varies from 10 to 14 depending on the shop or fit.

Usually when they give measurements it is the size of the garment so for me, if a small is a 38" chest, I go for medium as my bust is 38". However, different brands vary. In Susan Graver I need an XS, in Together I need a S and in Nina Leonard I need a M. Isaac Mizrahi, well I tried a M and I needed the fire brigade to get me out of it!!!! Some brands are just bigger cut, others are smaller cut. I find that the "designer" ranges - unless it's Yong Kim or Join, tend to be small so I always size up. On the high street I'm the top end of a 12 on top, top end of a 10 on the bottom, with "goodness knows where that came from" in between.

CC

I don't suppose you have a jacket or cardy or fleece which you wear over a blouse or top that you could measure?

I remember Julia used to say that you needed 5 ins for a coat.

I suppose it also depends on the style if it is close fitting or a more casual style.

Would it help if you looked on line at a brand you know and trust their sizing and saw the measurements of a top in size X and then their measurements for a jacket in the same size X to see the difference they allow.

A quick look at M&S gives the same bust measurements to fit a size 16 top and jacket

But say Trinny &S garments average an extra 2.5 inches between a top and fitted jacket and Q's measurements are supposed to be actual garment size.

Somehow I think it is a trial and error excerise.

My grandma was a seamstress and always said bust measurement plus 5 inches for a coat and 3 for a blouse/top/dress but of course these days lots of stretch in fabrics so you could go down a bit on those rules for tops and dresses with certain fabrics but not for cotton or silk. HTH.

Usually when they give measurements it is the size of the garment so for me, if a small is a 38" chest, I go for medium as my bust is 38". However, different brands vary. In Susan Graver I need an XS, in Together I need a S and in Nina Leonard I need a M. Isaac Mizrahi, well I tried a M and I needed the fire brigade to get me out of it!!!! Some brands are just bigger cut, others are smaller cut. I find that the "designer" ranges - unless it's Yong Kim or Join, tend to be small so I always size up. On the high street I'm the top end of a 12 on top, top end of a 10 on the bottom, with "goodness knows where that came from" in between.

CC

Trial and error isn't it. You used to be the same size whatever shop you went in, that was in the day 99% were made in the UK.

Unfortunately when it comes to sizing, there is a "tolerance" on any measurement of +/- a specific amount. I did a temp job doing quality control on v-neck t-shirts... we had to reject any where the measurement was more than +/- 2 cm across the neck and down the neck.

So ironically you can try on several garments which are nominally in the same size and they won't be necessarily be identical measurements. You could of course do that with QVC (reduction in p&p on the same size and colour) and keep the best fitting. It's easier and cheaper and less hassle to do this on the dreaded high street as you don't have to buy before you try.

my back size is a 44 but I wouldn't buy a coat that size, I would go up to 47/48 inches for a coat or jacket.

my back size is a 44 but I wouldn't buy a coat that size, I would go up to 47/48 inches for a coat or jacket.

Nothing worse than buying a restrictive coat or jacket... I always try the raised arm test on jackets and coats. If I can't move my arms freely when the jacket's done up, it's too small.

I generally add 6" for coats for a relaxed fit across the bust; the downside in sizing up (I find anyway) is the length of the sleeves - I'm 5'7 with an average arm, but the cuffs end up in the middle of my palm, - not a good look, so they always have to be shortened to wrist length.

I find that prominent women (ie politicians, mature celebrities like Judy Finnigan) on the tele never seem to get their jackets or coats to fit right. More than once I've yelled at the tv "sort your sleeves out !", as they stand with just their finger tips showing - or there is a lot of wrinkling at the top of the arms. Surely they must see this when they look in the mirror !!!!

Latest posts

Back