£50 delivery for a washing machine!!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

freedom99

Registered Shopper
Ok so it was posh machine costing more than £700 but £50 delivery? So they say they will install it but come on that take a few minutes not £50 worth. Can only think they must be thinking if you spend over £700 on a washer you must be minted and won't miss £50.

I bought a washer recently from a home shopping catalogue and paid £15 for installation only because I'm not fit enough to climb up and turn off the electric in the garage because all our white good are wired into the wall under the counters. Low and behold when they arrived he wouldn't do it because they don't do electrics only plumbing. They will plug it in but not wire it in, well mate I can attach one ****** pipe myself thanks.

Wonder if QVC are going to wire in I doubt it.

No plumbing installation will include wiring it into the wall as that would be "non standard" and the law requires a qualified electrician to commercially work in domestic premises.

Q can be blamed for a lot of things but this isn't one of them.

Regarding the P&P, just do as I do and look at the total cost - after all, that's what's leaving your bank account.

It's ok if you know that but when I ordered mine it just said installed it didn't say plumbed in or I would have worked it ok. I guess I assumed the person delivering it would have the necessary skilled needed to install it completely as most new houses have the wired in fitting for white goods. Even the guy who came was fed up with having to turn people down and said his company had told them to let people know it was only the plumbing.

Even qvc said install not plumbing I still think it's misleading and can't for the life of see why anyone would pay to have some plug it in and screw one water pipe in.

I see what you mean about overall cost I do this too but adding £50 to your first easy payment is no joke especially if you can't avail of the install so it should be optional.

washing machines come with a plug, they are not hard wired so you wouldn't expect to hard wire it in to be fair

Oh actually is that the Miele washing machine that you're supposed to be able to wash a daffodil in? Not that you'd want to, but of course you NEED a £700 washing machine to wash your Peony flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahs in! And buy one for the lady in the newsagents and the person on the checkout at the supermarket! Yeh!

washing machines come with a plug, they are not hard wired so you wouldn't expect to hard wire it in to be fair

They do come with a plug I think this is a legal thing now all electric goods have to come with a plug but every house I've lived in in the last 12 years has had a fitting under the counter to wire in your washer dryer and dishwasher. Which as a private renter Is a real pain in the backside.

I think most modern house are done this way here in n.ireland can't say what they do in the rest of the uk, even the delivery man agreed it was stupid to charge for a service he couldn't give.

Last edited:
Even qvc said install not plumbing I still think it's misleading and can't for the life of see why anyone would pay to have some plug it in and screw one water pipe in

Exactly. It does, of course, come with a plug - I think people are getting mixed up with washing machines which are 'hard-wired' into the wall using a fused spur and control above the worktop (for which you'd probably need an electrician) - all the electrician has done is cut the plug off and wire the cable into the unit!

£50 is ridiculous - particularly nowadays, where free delivery is pretty much standard in large shops like JL and the like. The Q really doesn't do itself any favours here - it smacks of those eBay sellers of old, who'd sell a CD for £2 with £10 postage.

.....I think most modern house are done this way here in n.ireland can't say what they do in the rest of the uk......

In my house the washing machine and dishwasher are plugged in under the worktop and then switched on above the worktop. I don't think I'd like them wired in as it would mean more costs when you move or replace the machines.

Latest posts

Back