£168 to make uneven toast

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I've just watched a recording of the £168 glass toaster (inc PP).

It popped up when it was supposed to be ready, and they rapidly cut away when because it still looked white.

There was no mention of any "brownies control". Apparently there isn't one. Instead, it bleeps when it is almost ready, then you have to waste time looking through the glass until it is done how you want it.

They later showed toast "they had done earlier" and it was remarkably uneven.

In fact, I'd say it was more uneven than my toaster from Tesco, which cost the grand total of £5.

PS Because the walls are glass, you have to spend time cleaning the inside of the glass (front and back) with the supplied scraper.

I never have to clean the inside walls of mine as they are opaque.

And despite the number of steam irons and steam generator irons they sell (which are all the best irons ever), today they were selling a glass iron, with no steam at all.

And guess what - it is the best iron ever!

And it only cost £208 with PP.

Somebody will be duped into buying it. Someone with more money than sense.
Of course people will buy it, many QVC customers are brainwashed into believing that if it's sold by them they have to have it. What a waste of money. The heating elements will only last as long as an average price toaster (£30) and then it will be useless. Don't forget though, if you are going to buy one, buy two and pop on in the present draw for teacher at the end of term :mysmilie_50:

Of course people will buy it, many QVC customers are brainwashed into believing that if it's sold by them they have to have it. What a waste of money. The heating elements will only last as long as an average price toaster (£30) and then it will be useless. Don't forget though, if you are going to buy one, buy two and pop on in the present draw for teacher at the end of term :mysmilie_50:

Yes, and you will also save 3-98 postage.

Well lets face it they are selling washing machines and tumble dryers for around £2K so why not a toaster, that doesn't quite toast. I am surprised though as that brand is usually reasonable value for money.

We have one in the office at work (bought from Curry's) and it is actually very good. You don't really need to clean it as often as they made out during the presentation... I don't have one in my house and wouldn't buy one as I'm very happy with my delonghi toaster and kettle

Unfortunately, most "power toasters" are pants these days because of EU regs and the "green" agenda. We used to have a brilliant Tefal toaster that did the job quickly. Now, like vacuum cleaners and several other appliances they've had their maximum wattage reduced. Doesn't save any power... just forces you to leave it on for longer. These fancy toasters are all about looks not about being any better at toasting.

And despite the number of steam irons and steam generator irons they sell (which are all the best irons ever), today they were selling a glass iron, with no steam at all.

And guess what - it is the best iron ever!

And it only cost £208 with PP.

I'll have two! One for each hand :mysmilie_500:

I've got a value toaster I bought for a fiver from Argos 11 years ago and it's still going strong! It features a "hinged crumb tray" that I avoid opening as I hate the sound it makes. Sometimes I squash currant buns in my hands so that they fit in the slots more easily. Unfortunately Warburtons fruit buns have a habit of unsqueezing themselves, springing back to their original thickness and getting stuck. The number of times I've nearly set fire to my kitchen I cannot tell you! I like crumpets too, but have to take care with the brand / style. The Asda "Extra Special" crumpets look rather more like bath sponges. The chunky, holey round treats should come with a health & safety warning: "These crumpets will set your house on fire!" These days I tend to opt for the more slender ones. Much though I like the idea of a glass toaster I can imagine it can be annoying. Yes, you can see the toast browning but you can also see all the crumbs in it that you haven't emptied. Maybe they should market them as a curative for OCD sufferers browned off by their condition? Toasters are definitely a female invention - no logic or consistency to them whatsoever! One day setting 3 produces a nice medium slice that is crispy on the outside and fluffy on the in, just waiting for a light scraping of unsalted Lurpak and some "Bonne Maman" marmalade (or Tiptree). Other days the same setting produces a charred, carbonised square. Doesn't matter on the brand / price - they are all the same! Plus I'm like Sting - I like my toast done on one side. Never found a toaster that does that!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, most "power toasters" are pants these days because of EU regs and the "green" agenda. We used to have a brilliant Tefal toaster that did the job quickly. Now, like vacuum cleaners and several other appliances they've had their maximum wattage reduced. Doesn't save any power... just forces you to leave it on for longer. These fancy toasters are all about looks not about being any better at toasting.

Can see that as a headline in my favourite Eurosceptic tabloid: "BRITS' BREAKFASTS RUINED BY MEDDLING BRUSSELS BUREAUCRATS"

Millions of Brits are being browned off by barmy EU regulations brought in to limit the power rating of domestic appliances from toasters to kettles. The latest ruling that kettles cannot exceed 800 watts have caused tensions in the Home Counties to reach boiling point. Housewife Susan Smith, 54, from Cooksbridge said, "It's completely ludicrous. It's not saving any power as the appliances have to be on for longer."

New Year's Eve saw hundreds of people queueing outside DIY store Robert Dyas in a bid to buy high-powered irons before they were outlawed on January 1st.

An open-mouthed Nigel Farage blasted the changes, saying, "We are all totally gob-smacked at this latest lunacy and that's why we've launched the "Brexit for Breakfast" campaign. Before you know it they'll be limiting the thickness of orange peel in marmalade, it's just totally bonkers and it's got to stop. Only UKIP can stand up for the Great British Breakfast!"

****************************************GUESS WHICH NEWSPAPER!!!!*************************************************************************

Last edited:
I must admit I thought the toaster looked beautiful and I love gadgets
That was until I saw the price.
Shame. It would be expensive even if you knocked £100 off. Oh well, when I win the lottery!

I must admit I thought the toaster looked beautiful and I love gadgets
That was until I saw the price.
Shame. It would be expensive even if you knocked £100 off. Oh well, when I win the lottery!

Don't worry Bunnybabes, Lidl's are sure to do a cheap knock-off in one of their upcoming promos!

Which means you just get dried out stuff. You might as well use the grill pan for toast and not bother with a toaster.

The whole point of quickly toasting the outside used to be that the inside was still soft and a lovely contrast to the crisp outer layer.

Can see that as a headline in my favourite Eurosceptic tabloid: "BRITS' BREAKFASTS RUINED BY MEDDLING BRUSSELS BUREAUCRATS"

Millions of Brits are being browned off by barmy EU regulations brought in to limit the power rating of domestic appliances from toasters to kettles. The latest ruling that kettles cannot exceed 800 watts have caused tensions in the Home Counties to reach boiling point. Housewife Susan Smith, 54, from Cooksbridge said, "It's completely ludicrous. It's not saving any power as the appliances have to be on for longer."

New Year's Eve saw hundreds of people queueing outside DIY store Robert Dyas in a bid to buy high-powered irons before they were outlawed on January 1st.

An open-mouthed Nigel Farage blasted the changes, saying, "We are all totally gob-smacked at this latest lunacy and that's why we've launched the "Brexit for Breakfast" campaign. Before you know it they'll be limiting the thickness of orange peel in marmalade, it's just totally bonkers and it's got to stop. Only UKIP can stand up for the Great British Breakfast!"

****************************************GUESS WHICH NEWSPAPER!!!!*************************************************************************

You can take your pick: Daily Mail or Daily Express.

Aldi have glass toasters and kettles at least twice a year and they are always around £30.00.
I looked at getting one but was put off by the sales assistant telling me that they are "a pain to keep clean" so I just bought one for £15.00 from Asda I paid a bit more because I wanted to avoid the problems Julius has had with his toasting crumpets and current buns.

Latest posts

Back